Friday, April 13, 2007

Alcohol + Python Interpreter = ????

It's Friday night here and Scrabblette is STILL away... what's a man to do but have a drink? And if that man is an abstract game fan? And has an unfettered Python interpreter at his fingertips? Well...


You see when I discover a new abstract game I think "that would be so easy to make if only I had the board...". And so often the board is something so simple you could code up an image for it even if you were drunk...


So, what games have I done? Well, more than I can be bothered uploading here. It's a program... it can do heaps of stuff without much modification.


So I'm only uploading a selection of things that seem useful. The achi board is for a game I added to BGG recently called Achi - search the web for the rules. The 10x10 board is for Amazons (or International Draughts). The GIPF board is for Gute Nachbarn (or GIPF). The hexagon board is for Hex. The 7x7 board is for the original version of Breakthrough.


If there are other boards I could make a game board for, please let me know. I'll need a project for when I attack the rest of the bottle of red wine :-).

5 comments:

gerrod said...

I was tempted to try writing a version of Settlers that ran on the web, but after realizing that it would probably take more than a couple of hours I gave it away. Still, I'd like to see the abstract python interpreter pull that one out :-)

Sandie Elsom said...

Battleships? Or is that beneath you?

Friendless said...

The kid and I played Battleships last weekend. We agreed to trade that game away. But it is a reasonable idea for something to add to the list - after all you don't need to print and play if you don't like the game. I have a book about Dots and Boxes on its way home with Scrabblette - I had to buy it because I couldn't understand why someone would write a book about such a dull game.

Sandie Elsom said...

I once read a book about the strategy of Scissors Paper Rock. I still don't know if it was a joke or not.

Steve said...

Friendless, you are still such a coding geek, my friend.

You haven't changed a bit in the last 25 years :)