Sunday, December 02, 2007

Super Scrabble, Alone Again Naturally

I've been reading Joe Edley's Scrabble book, and with Scrabblette working to some deadline I had an evening to myself. I have a feeling the book has been helping, so I sat down to attack my soliatire Super Scrabble P.B. of 1776.
The game started cursed. I drew ADIJLTT, so the best I could make was JAIL. Well, I could have made TIDAL but it would have been a waste of good letters on a 12 point word. At least JAIL was 22 points. If I could have made a 5 letter word I could have got the J on a DLS for another 16 or so points. My racks were then BDFIOTT, BDLROTZ, ABLRRTV, and finally BELRSTV. I kept trying to play away the hard lettters to get a better rack, but I couldn't draw vowels. After I made BELTS my racks were ADDRSVW, DKNNSUV, DFKNQTU where I finally gave in and swapped tiles. What would Joe Edley make of that rubbish? I drew my second E of the game on turn 11.

I was consciously working towards a bingo rack, and on turn 12 found HILLIEST, on turn 15 found LETCHING and on turn 17 RESONATE. It looked like the game was turning for me, though I was well behind the pace for my P.B. However the board was badly closed - notice how I had to come through GAZER to get to the top left corner, as I couldn't build off PUFF / PEKOE / WEFTS / CH, and I had to get to the middle bottom through QUARE as I couldn't build off BELTS or BEAU? This game was seriously hard work. All of the consonants at the beginning of the game had resulted in a board with few places to build from.

My 4th and last bingo for the game was NETTIER. After that I had a blank for a while but suffered another run of nasty consonants until I caved in and built TAIPAN so I could extend into another corner of the board. My total of 4 bingos was better than last time, but nowhere near enough points to make up for the generally much worse words I was building.

My total score was 1623 after 60 turns, which was only 27.05 points per turn. In the previous game I averaged about 34 points per turn. I did start to understand about how closed boards come about, but I still don't know how to deal with them. I'll have to keep reading that book.

For the curious and the obsessed, here are the words and what they scored:

JAIL 22
FIAT 15
DZO 26
JAR 12
BELTS 21
WARDS 42
VANS 33
(swap 7 tiles)
WHO 24
BIGS 10
HOLD 8
HILLIEST 64
WEPT 18
OX 54
LETCHING 68
BEAU 17
RESONATE 60
CORMS 24
PUFF 24
HUE 23
AA 18
MEETS 31
PEKOE 22
TREY 37
RIMS 28
UNLEASH 20
KENS 35
STUDY 15
HANDY 24
QUARE 72
COME 48
WOW 28
NOBLER 32
ROOD 33
ANNS 30
COVEN 26
FLETCHING 26
GAZER 17
WRY 29
(swap 1 tile - a Q)
LICK 11
ARK 14
QI 11
NETTIER 70
DOOM 16
JIG 33
CAMEO 24
XU 38
DIVE 35
EGGY 18
DUSTED 21
TAIPAN 21
RETRAIN 15
SH 21
PLANAR 20
BEEP 50
CH 14
PIT 15
IO 12
TI 6

And now, it's goodbye from Trixi.

No comments: