Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I've Gone and Done It Now

After several years of consideration, I just went and bought the Dungeons and Dragons v3.5 core rule books. I think I've been thinking about this for about 5 years. When this started I read the System Reference Documentation, and designed a high-level module. Then I got involved in Neverwinter Nights for about a year and a half and played LOTS of that. Of course I had several more ideas for modules. Now even the wonders of board gaming have been unable to stop me thinking about D&D, and as the kid seems keen to play I've finally bought the books. I expect we'll play at some stage, but even if I just read the books and dream about the adventures I could have in theory, I'll be happy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if you ever played AD&D with the earlier rules. The new 3.5 D20 system is a vast improvement to the system. There are more ways to customize characters, and everything is much more streamlined. There's very little table lookup required.

Friendless said...

I played AD&D from about 1982 till 1986. We were indeed more "roll players" than "role players", but we had a heck of a good time. I really like the D&D milieu, and I'm not interested in role-playing science fiction or vampires or modern day or anything else. Lord of the Rings is fine! Maybe my role-playing tastes will mature, but if the campaign the kid and I develop is anything like what we used to do, he'll love it.

PiB - Nicarra said...

Good on ya. I still have 3 of the Advanced D&D books dating from sometime in the 80's. At some point the company decided two simultaneous versions of D&D wasn't a good idea.